Perfecting the art of a great selfie is something that I find a challenge, I either come out looking like I have an alien sized head, my glasses look 10 inches thick, or I get the shakes trying to reach out far enough to get myself all in the shot, and don’t even get me going on the popular #FromWhereIStand selfie, I can never seem to be able to do it without making myself look short and chubby.
OK, I am not saying I want to do a selfie every day, I wouldn’t put you guys through that, but it would be nice from time-to-time to show off my glasses, or my outfit without getting my boyfriend involved, and I am totally blaming all the celebrities in my Instagram feed for making it look so easy for my desire to perfect it.
Granted they generally are already flawless to start with, Rosie Huntingdon Whiteley I am talking about you, they have make-up artist and hair stylists on call, and have their pick of the most amazing clothes but I was thinking that maybe I could learn a thing or two from their shots.
My favourite celebrity for selfies has to be Rosie, she always looks incredible, just check out the great angle she is working to show off her perfect pout and those amazing sunglasses, seriously love everything about her. Another celeb to steal selfie tips from has to be Khloe Kardashian, I love her in the car shots, she always captures the light perfectly.
Then there are the celebs who are all about eye contact, check out Victoria Beckham, such a great shot of her, to the girls that just want to have fun, I am looking at you Miley and Lauren Conrad with a bow in your hair, and they are joined by a horde of models and actresses like Miranda Kerr and Jaime King all showing how it is done.
So here is what I came up with on how to master the selfie:
- Find your angles, very America’s Top Model but come on if Tara was doing a selfie master class she would have so said it. I find the best shots are captured when your phone is slightly above eye level and away from you at a 45-degree angle, and I always tilt my face slightly away so no shine off my glasses.
- Great posture really does make you look slimmer, especially in pictures, so stand tall and keep your chin down so we don’t all see up your nose.
- Natural light is your friend, so head outside, if you are indoors head towards the windows and get the sun to illuminate your face, trust me it will look better than artificial lighting.
- Get to know your filters, whether that’s in Instagram or another photo editing app, filters can really help make you look better. I find if I am tired or my skin isn’t looking too good then the black and white filters such as Willow can make all the difference, I also love the effect of X-Pro II.
- But most of all I have realised to smile and have fun – it is only a selfie!!!
Instagram: @MileyCyrus // @LaurenConrad
Instagram: @Jaime_King // @MirandaKerr
So a tough crowd to follow – but here goes – a #Selfie I prepared earlier in my office. This took 10 attempts, I have found not too close, natural light but not too much with my glasses, a great background – I couldn’t leave Barbie out, and smile!!!
Have you perfected the selfie? Leave me any tips you have below in the comments – as I kind of feel that I should have hashtag this pic #SelfieInTraining.