I’ve spoken about my hunt for the perfect grey winter coat previously, as this year I’m trying to just invest in classic pieces rather than trends, I had all but given up hope when I spied this beauty in the Gap sale, only one left, in my size, was down from £99.99 to £39.99 with another 40 percent off, so for £23.99 I picked up the best bargain I have found in a while, and I’m in love with it.
I always find getting my winter coat one of the most stressful shopping experiences, that is after finding the most perfect pair of jeans – but I have tracked down some beauties in the January sales. From the classic duffle coat, which is my new favourite – I quite like the Paddington Bear look, to another classic the Pea Coat that was seen on the runways at Stella McCartney and YSL. I have also added in some bright coats to brighten up any winter morning, as well as some chic two-tone coats perfect for office.
If you are after a classic, while still being a little quirky you can’t go too wrong with a duffle coat – these are my top three duffles:
1. Lands’ End, Wool Duffle, £110 down from £180, Landsend.co.uk
3. Vicky Smith, Women’s Winter Duffle Coat, £39.99 down from £59.99, Amazon.co.uk
Everyone needs to have a colourful coat in their wardrobe. How about this gorgeous blue maxi from Reiss or the cute 60s dolly coat from Oasis – there is so much choice this season.
1. Oasis, 60s Dolly Coat, £35 was £45, Oasis-Stores.com – I just adore this pastel colour, the swing silhouette and that adorable Princess collar and large buttons.
3. Wallis, Pink 1923 Fur Trim Mohair Coat, £75 was £150, Wallis.co.uk – brighten up your winter days with this gorgeous coat that has been spotted on Daybreak presenter Kate Garraway.
4. Warehouse, Mustard coat, £35 was £45, Warehouse.co.uk
For a shorter coat style the Pea Coat is a perfect solution. I have selected some varying styles from faux fur collars to a boxy shape – as well as something a little colourful. All will look perfect dressed down with jeans – my favourite has to be the Tartan print from ASOS.
2. Dorothy Perkins, Red Short Pea Coat, £35 down from £45, DorothyPerkins.com
4. New Look, Collarless Pea Coat, £18 down from £44.99, NewLook.com
Two-tone and monochrome coats seem to be around every year but the two I have chosen will look amazing for the office or a smart function.
I am finding it a little weird that my love for festive novelty jumpers isn’t being laughed at this year, rather than everyone feeling it is a little naff, it seems everyone is getting in on the act. A couple of weeks ago I shared the Net-a-Porter collection of designer Christmas jumpers, which I have to admit I am still thinking of splurging on, but I felt that I should look at more affordable options. I am a love of snowflakes, animals, snowmen and even Santa motif jumpers, and I have tracked down some beauties.
I am loving that there are so many swan jumpers about, these are my two favourites:
Fluffy Swan Intarsia Jumper, £55, Oasis
I think animal jumpers are always my favourites, and I have gone for the cute, the fluffy, the Royal and a little on the weird side!!
Ivory Penguin Long Line Jumper, £35, Dorothy Perkins
Can’t go too wrong with a reindeer jumper, traditional yet still on trend with the animal jumpers, also mix in reindeer with a fairisle print and you are working a very wintery look.
Warehouse, Stag Print Sweater, £35, House of Fraser
This isn’t actually a theme rather the traditional snowflake versus the neon naff, in a good way of course. Both are great Christmas jumpers – which one do you prefer?
But my vote for the best Christmas jumper and the one I think I might wear this Christmas day has to be this gorgeous Panda Jumper from ASOS. I have been a little obsessed with planning a trip to Edinburgh just to see the new Panda’s at the zoo and this will help ease the pain of not being able to go until the New Year. Also it is such a great price at only £30.
Which one is your favourite?
Inspired by the gorgeous Dolce & Gabbana star print dress from the autumn/winter 2011 collection, seen recently on the September Marie Claire cover and Glamour’s August issue, I have put together my fav star and sparkle items.
1. ASOS Belted Dress with Star Print, £45 – I love this all-over star print with its flirty flare silhouette and the elbow-length sleeves will see you through to autumn.
2. Rebecca Minkoff M.A.C. Bombe, $345 – I am a big RM fan, I carry my MAB with pride, but this cutie is a perfect sparkly clutch and it even comes with exclusive leopard print inside.
3. Oasis Scatter Star Scarf, £18 – you don’t have to go for black and white, this coral scarf is a great way to dip into the trend, team with jeans and a simple tee for great effect.
4. Maggie Angus Rock Star Necklace, £18.99 – couldn’t be a wishlist without jewellery and I adore this rock star necklace featuring a bold charm of a guitar and star.
5. Converse Garden Sequin Hi Trainers from Schuh, £49 – sequins and hi-tops is a great combination, team with your skinny jeans or maxi dress. I just love the way these beauties shimmer!!
6. New Look Starry Canvas Cross Body Bag, £8.99 – this is a cute casual bag, and at that price everyone can enjoy the star trend.