Each year after the Oscars and the award season has finished I have to admit I go through a little lull when it comes to red carpet appearances, premieres are fine but they just don’t have the glamour of a big award show, which is why I am always pleased when May comes around as it has two big fashion events – the Cannes Film Festival and the Met Gala.
This coming Monday, May 6, the very best in fashion will be strutting their stuff in celebration of Met’s Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibition, and I love that the red carpet event is kind of a mash-up of the Oscars and fashion week, where designers showcase their very best gowns with most specially created for the event, on some of the biggest stars. It always seems to bring glamour and drama and some of the best looks of the year.
Last year was a Prada affair thanks to Miuccia Prada being co-chair, Diane Kruger in that gorgeous purple gown is still one of my favourite Met Gala looks, well this year is bound to be all about Givenchy as Riccardo Tisci is on the panel and his co-chair is Rooney Mara.
As well as enjoying the red carpet, I love the anticipation and lead-up to the event, guessing what people will wear, and who’s dressing who, which means for the week before I am addicted to WWD, the NY Post and the New York Times – they always have the best scoops.
So want to know the latest rumours? Well I have put down some of my favs below:
- Tommy Hilfiger has announced that his table will be filled with a rather odd mix including Zooey Deschanel, Nicki Minaj, Lily Aldridge, Thalia Mottola, Debbie Harry and Kings of Leon’s Caleb Followill – I can’t imagine Nicki Minaj in TH!
- Jennifer Lopez will be a Michael Kors girl for the night – I can’t wait to see this
- Iron Man’s Gwyneth Paltrow is going with Valentino – I wonder if her look will top her sexy Prada mini from last year?
- There are no surprises regarding who Dior is taking – Oscar winning-actress Jennifer Lawrence and French beauty Marion Cotillard – I am just hoping for something customised
- One of my most interesting reports is that Alexander Wang is designing a custom Balenciaga look for Julianne Moore – that’s going to be amazing
- Sienna Miller is apparently attending with Burberry, well no surprise as she is rumoured to be the label’s new face
- Diane von Furstenberg is taking Emma Roberts
- Jessica Alba is set to attend with Tory Burch
- Topshop is getting in on the action again with Jaime King, plus the retailer is taking Julianne Hough
- Elizabeth Banks is going with Brian Atwood – so we can be assured her shoes will be hot
No word on whether anyone will be wearing Donna Karan, Prada, Versace, Alexander McQueen, or Elie Saab, or even if Nina Dobrev, Anne Hathaway, Diane Kruger or Sarah Jessica Parker will be attending – I have all my fingers and toes crossed!!!
Who are you excited about seeing and who do you want to attend?